Today we had our good friend and erotica writer Lexi Maxxwell (who Sean and I have said we’re helping out with her business and publishing and stuff) back on the show as a follow up to her popular earlier appearance on the show. As with last time, this show is spicier than normal, so hide the kids.
We talked to Lexi about a ton of stuff, including:
- What to do if you built your audience on free stuff and want to transition away from free
- How to select and court the best readers for you
- How to think like a publisher and outside of just “putting words on a page,” including an AMAZING new partnership between Lexi and premier adult site X-Art.
- The branding reason that Lexi’s friend KR Gray got a MUCH, MUCH different and worse response than Lexi — sufficient that he had to bail on solo work and move “under Lexi’s umbrella” — despite their styles being very similar.
- Why “erotica” is kind of a bullshit category, seeing as everyone in most books are having sex anyway, and erotica just “shows it.”
- Lexi’s genius in mixing sex with humor in the STUPIDLY funny upcoming Kindle sitcom Adult Video, which Sean and I created and then gave to Lexi because we couldn’t do it justice without holding back.
NOTE: As we did with Ed Robertson last week, we kept Lexi on with us for Better Off Undead for a lot of really NSFW discussion. We also kept Ed on from last week because we recorded this and last week back-to-back, thus making this week’s Better Off Undead a 5-writer show!